Monday, November 12, 2012

Second Hand Lions by John Whitman

A Review by Matt N.

Secondhand Lions is a great book written by John Whitman. This story takes place in 1962 in Texas. Walter is a lazy, smart and a nerdy teenager who’s forced by his mother who’s a snotty, proper young woman to stay at his uncles’ house for the summer. Walter tries to talk to his uncles, Hub and Garth but he realizes that they are just plain crazy. Strange things happen when his uncle Garth finally talks to him. Walter finds a strange lion in the forest adjacent to the house. Walter’s summer is now in jeopardy, his mom instead of working she found a boyfriend who’s a FBI agent who accuses Hub and Garth of a bank robbery. Now Walter needs to pick one side: his mom’s or his uncles’.

My favorite part of this book is when the lion named Jasmine rescues Walter from the FBI agent. I really like this book because it’s funny but unusual. I would recommend this book for mostly boys. I’d give this book 10 out of 10 because it’s got funny events and powerful language. I really enjoyed this book and I hope you do too.     

No comments: