Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata

A Review by Emma

Kira-Kira is by Cynthia Kadohata. Kira-Kira is the Japanese word for glittery.  Katie’s (the main character) favorite word is Kira-Kira. This story takes place inside and outside. Her family is poor and needs to find a house. She has an older sister, Lynn, and a little brother, Sammy. Lynn has a very bad disease that might cause her to die. Sammy, who Katie thinks is perfect, has an accident and needs to be taken to a hospital. Her mom works all day and overtime if possible. Her dad works all day and all night. So when her parents are home they are always tired and cranky but Katie reminds them everything is still kira-Kira.

I think this book is great because it’s very detailed. It’s not too long and not too short.  When I read this book I felt like I was actually there when every event happened. There was also a lot of expecting events every so often. This book is one of my favorite books. It also won a Newbery Honor. My favorite part was when Katie and Lynn are lying in the middle of the street.

I would recommend this book to girls. It’s a very wonderful book.

No comments: